Sunday, November 6, 2011

Musée Carnavalet, Épicerie Thanksgiving (le Marais)

Bonjour tous!
Well, I've had a lovely weekend!  Yesterday (Saturday), I met my friend Anna at le musée Carnavalet, in the 3rd arrondissement to see an exhibit there of photographs of Paris from the 1800s.  We're in the 19th century history class together, so it was interesting to see where the exhibit correlated with what we've been studying, but it was also interesting in its own right.  Paris was a constantly changing in the 1800s, and it was interesting to see that change documented in photographs, but also in scale models, in lithographs and engravings and paintings...  It was a neat exhibit!  Afterwards, we had some lunch--Anna had made us a lovely cauliflower quiche!  And then, I had heard about an American grocery store in Paris, called l'épicerie Thanksgiving, although they're open all year round, and it wasn't far from the museum, just over the border into the 4th arrondissement, so we walked over and checked it out.  They had some things that l'épicerie anglaise didn't have, but their prices seemed a bit higher...  Anyway, it's good to know where it is.  I bought some goldfish!  Anyway, we decided to head north afterwards, because we both live towards the north of the city, so we walked up to la place de la République, and then we wandered around there for a while before parting ways.  Then I had to work on some homework--it's not all fun and games here!  Later in the evening, I met up with a British friend for falafel and a movie.  We saw a comedy, Intouchables, and I was able to understand most of it!  So that was good.  And it was funny!  We both liked it a lot.  And this afternoon, I met up with one of my French friends, Victoria, for an English-language movie, Restless.  I think it was American, from the actors' accents, but I'd never heard of it!  But then, I don't really follow American movies even at Bard, never mind here!  (It's not good language practice for me, but she wanted to see it and it looked good!  And I did see a French movie yesterday, after all, and I read along with the French subtitles today.)  So we saw that at this very cute little theater near her house.  For those of you from the North Shore, the inside of the theater kind of reminded me of the Cabot Street Cinema--old fashioned, with a stage in front and elaborate murals on the walls.  It wasn't expensive, and it wasn't crowded at all!  And the movie was pretty good too.  So, all in all, it's been a lovely weekend!
part of the courtyard of musée Carnavalet

The roses are still blooming here!  Proof that Paris is magical...

MMM--cauliflower quiche, courtesy of Anna!

There was a big van in front of the store, so it was hard to get a good photo...

The goods!  It's almost like being in America... except way more expensive!

We saw this building near République...  Look closely at the middle windows.  Do you notice something odd?

2 comments:

  1. The whole place looks scary, like if you come in you'll never get out! Does it have a roof? Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that was in the courtyard! Which is why it's all closed in on the sides, but open on the top... Many buildings in Paris have courtyards in the middle--it's kind of nice! It lets in lots of daylight.

    ReplyDelete