Saturday, November 19, 2011

Les secrets du Louvre/The Secrets of the Louvre

Salut!
So this afternoon I visited the Louvre with a group called Parismus, which is an organization for foreign students at the University of Paris.  The goal of the excursion was to tell us a bit about the history of the building itself (long, convoluted, and involving François I, Louis XIV, XV, and XVI, and Napoléons I and III, like the majority of French history).  And the other purpose of the visit was to show us the parts of the Louvre that people don't generally visit: the part from the Middle Ages, le moyen âge, the collection of art from the ancient Near East (if that sounds familiar, maybe it's because I took a class on that two springs ago), and the royal apartments of Napoléon III.  It was an interesting event, because I hadn't ever visited any of those parts of the Louvre, and I probably wouldn't have otherwise.  It was also interesting to meet some other foreign students there, and I already knew one of the girls from my chi-gong class--in fact, she was the one who told me about the event and so we went together, which was nice.



See that Christmas tree in the background?  Christmas starts way earlier here than it does in the U.S.!  I've been seeing Christmas stuff since early November!  I think it's too early, myself. 
This is the oldest part of the Louvre, and the only part remaining of the original structure.

It was like being back in my Art of the Ancient Near East class...

How many legs are there?

The apartments of Napoléon III at the Louvre reminded me a lot of... his apartments at Fontainebleau. 


No comments:

Post a Comment