Saturday, November 12, 2011

Fontainebleau

Bonjour!
So I guess I've made this into a weekend of castles, with Versailles yesterday and Fontainebleau today!  This second chateau was a bit spontaneous, as an American friend here invited me just last night.  Once again, we took the train to get there, only we had to take a bus from the train station as well, but it was still a very easy trip; altogether, it only took an hour to get from Gare de Lyon in Paris to Fontainebleau.  It is a pretty big castle, and I think we saw most of it--certainly all of it that was open to the public.  And we decided to do the audioguide, since it was only 1€, so I actually learned a little something today!  Although since Fontainebleau was inhabited and in use from the 1100s to the 1800s, there was a lot of information, and I'm not sure how much of it I retained!  But the big names there were, of course, Francois I, Henri IV, and Napoléon I--especially Napoléon I--with honorable mentions to Louis XIII, XIV, and XVI as well.  Fontainebleau also has some lovely grounds, and since we finally had some nice weather today, we took advantage and explored them a bit as well.  The town of Fontainebleau also seemed very cute, although we didn't explore it too much.  It was a lot of fun to visit a place I haven't been before!  And it was nice to get out of the city and enjoy some nature.  The castle was nice, too, but I have to say, I think the décor in the chateau was a bit over the top, a bit too much.  There was so much going on in so many of the rooms, and it was all so sumptuous!  It may have been a case of too much of a good thing--too much gold, too many tapestries, too many chandeliers!  But it was a lot of fun to see such a rich place, although I don't think I'd like to live there.
the chateau from the front

part of the gates


one of many ornate ceilings

one of many ornate beds

another bit of ceiling

This room was wild!  I think it shows pretty well what I mean by the rooms being a bit too much.

one of many wall hangings

one of the chapels

There were a lot of carvings with funny faces here!

the passageway of François I

This painting was in the hall... I'm not sure what it's supposed to depict, but if you look closely, the dog's eye is red...

more over-the-top ornateness

the party room

the other chapel

apparently a library

the throne of Napoléon I

Napoléon I's "camp bed"

the back of the castle

There were lots of birds!



the gardens...


more of the chateau...

another funny face

This fellow looked a bit more dashing!

part of downtown Fontainebleau

More palm trees!

What's inside???

MMM!  Poire au chocolat for my friend, tarte aux fraises for me!

Gare de Lyon, back in Paris

No comments:

Post a Comment