Friday, November 4, 2011

Les délices de nature gastronomique (Gastronomic Delights)

So on Tuesday, I had a particularly good food day here!  It was Toussaint, or All Saints' Day, which is un jour ferré here in France--which means I had a day off from classes!  And it ended up, by coincidence, being a great day for food.   (It was also just a great day in general, but I'll address that in a different post.)  The really yummy stuff started with lunch.  It was cool, gray, and rainy, so I decided to buy myself a nice hot quiche aux épinards et au fromage (spinach and cheese).  MMM!
Cheesy goodness on top...

...hot spinach on the bottom!

After lunch, I met up with a French friend; we had planned to walk around the Marais, but since the weather was so grody, we decided to cut our losses after about an hour of soggy sightseeing, so we headed for some tea and pastries chez elle.  She lives right outside Paris, so we hopped on the metro, and when we got off, lo and behold, there was a great little pâtisserie right there on the way to her home!  So she very generously offered to treat for pastries--who am I to resist?
I had a millefeuille glacée (glazed millefeuille).  The name literally means "1000 sheets" for all the pastry layers.  YUM!  Note the custard on the inside as well... 
Victoria had a tarte aux fraises, a little strawberry tart, which also looked really delicious.

Later, when I came home for dinner, it so happened that one of my host mother's friends had been by earlier with a big box of... pastries!  There were plenty left over, and she insisted that I have one, and I didn't want to be rude....  I picked out a really interesting looking one.  I'm honestly not sure what it was, but it was tasty!  And very different from other pastries I've tried here.

I have no clue what this was!  It was fairly dry and crumbly; I thought maybe it was something to do with pistachios, because of the color, although it was hard to tell from the taste, which was mildly sweet.  At any rate, it was good eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment