Monday, November 28, 2011

Le musée de l'orangerie

Bonjour!
Today, since it was gray and cold but I didn't want to spend all day in the house, I decided to check out le musée de l'orangerie, which is one of a handful of museums here that are open on Mondays.  It's famous for hosting Claude Monet's Water Lilies, which is the main reason I went there, but that was actually only a very small (but very beautiful) part of the museum.  The majority of the permanent collection is also impressionist and post-impressionist works.  And they had an interesting temporary exhibit on Spanish art of the late 1800s and early 1900s.  It's a very small museum, which I liked a lot--there isn't that feeling you get in the Louvre of being overwhelmed and lost, in a mental and physical sense.  Of course, as usual, photographs were interdit, so I can only show you the outside of the building.  You'll just have to take my word for it that it was a nice little museum!
Here's the side of the building.
It's a little hard to tell here, but the roof is all glass.

Le musée de l'orangerie from the front 

No comments:

Post a Comment