Wednesday, October 26, 2011

L'épicerie anglaise

Salut tous!
So today I mostly stayed in to recover from a rather nasty cold, venturing out only to forage for food.  Actually, I only needed some bread from the boulangerie on the corner, but I also wanted to find an épicierie anglaise (literally, a dry-goods store specializing in English products) which I had seen on a nearby side street with a little sign saying it had changed location (just a few short blocks away).  My initial intent was to get some Reeses peanut butter cups to share with my French friends who may or may not have tried them, but I got sidelined when I got there by the candy corn!  Which I think is a fairly American food (even though I bought it in this English store, the bag was marked "America's #1 candy corn"), so it will be even more interesting to share it with them and see how they enjoy it.  It's also a little bit of Halloween for me here, since of course they don't celebrate Halloween in France.  (They celebrate the day after, Toussaint, or All Saints' Day... I think it's not really celebrated anymore, but it's still a holiday and we get the day off from class!)  Anyway, I also saw some Jiff peanut butter there, in a slightly larger size (but of course, more expensive... I haven't done the math to figure out which is a better deal) and with a choice of creamy or extra-chunky!  Even if it is a bit more pricey, I might get my p.b. there next time, just to have the extra-chunky!  On a more French note, I had a delicious, scrumptious homemade soup tonight.  My host mother's sister made it and brought it over, and it was just the perfect thing for me with my cold!  It was very thick, almost like a purée, a gorgeous golden color, and was mostly made of potato and carrot, with some leek as well and maybe one or two other vegetables that I didn't quite catch the name of in French.  And the best part is that there's plenty left over for tomorrow!


the shopping bag...

No comments:

Post a Comment