Sunday, October 2, 2011

everyday life/la vie quotidienne

Bonjour!  So I've been up to lots of fun stuff lately, but I thought I'd add a post on the everyday stuff, too.

First, classes: they haven't really started yet.  I've had a few lectures, but for each lecture there are also a few smaller discussion components, so the big lecture group is broken into smaller groups for more in-depth work--I think.  These haven't started at all yet (they start this week) so I'll give more info on those later this week or next weekend, when I've actually experienced them.  (They're called travaux dirigés, which literally translates to guided or directed work.)  I'm taking two history classes (French history of the 1800s and European of the early 1900s) and two art history classes (one about chinoiserie and allegories in French art of the 1700s, I think, and the other about European landscape paintings of the late 1700s and early 1800s).  I'm also taking two translation classes: one English to French (hard) and one French to English (easier), but those haven't started yet (they start this week).  Unfortunately, I don't have any classes actually inside the Sorbonne building itself.  Art history classes are held at 3, rue michelet and the history and translation classes will be at the Centre Clignancourt.  I've put in photos of michelet and the Sorbonne, because those buildings are pretty, but I think Clignancourt is one of the ugliest buildings I've seen lately, although it was just completed this summer, so I didn't even bother taking any photos.  (It's got this very modern sort of feel, lots of squares and lines, and this weird cement-gray and schoolbus-yellow color scheme.  Also, the toilets in the building don't have seats.  Unfortunately, this is rather common in more public restrooms in France, but it's one cultural difference that I really have trouble appreciating.  I mean, it's one thing for airport toilets or free city toilets, but don't tell me the Sorbonne can't afford toilet seats.)  Anyway, classes are just starting, but what I've had so far seems good, although if it's too much work, I might drop one of the art history classes.  I'm also taking two athletic classes: "Ju-jitsu self-defense" and "Qi-gong" (which is sort of like a yoga/tai-chi combo, I think).  Those start on Friday, so again, more on those later this week or next weekend.
The Sorbonne itself!  Sadly, I don't have classes in this building.

3, rue michelet: art history building... very near le Jardin du Luxembourg (see below)
Second, food: this seems to be everyone's favorite part! (By the way: Please feel free to leave comments on the blog; you don't have to email me or tell me on Skype or Facebook that you like the blog or something I put on it.  That's what the comment box is here for!)  Anyway, I continue to eat lots of yummy food!  On a daily basis!!  Obviously the pastries and baguettes are great, but my two favorite things are actually chèvre (goat cheese) and fromage blanc (literally, "white cheese" but it's actually more like Greek yogurt and you eat it like yogurt, with a spoon).  I like to eat the former for lunch and the latter after dinner, almost as a desert, although it's not sweet.  We really don't have anything like it in the U.S., but Greek yogurt is sort of similar, but fromage blanc is more creamy, less tangy, and not as heavy.  I didn't take a photo of the food itself (but you can see it at the link) because it's not much to look at (it looks like sour cream or plain yogurt) but I did take one of the package, so you can see that it's packaged like yogurt.  I've included some of the other yummy things I eat fairly regularly as well.
FROMAGE BLANC: YUM!

normal lunch: baguette with chèvre (the golden raspberries were a treat)
the Jardin du Luxembourg, near rue michelet, where I like to eat lunch

the French version of a chocolate chip cookie: dark chocolate, more of a bread than a cookie, far less sweet, far more delicious

No comments:

Post a Comment